In the mid-1870’s, German companies established the first trading ties within the area that would become German New Guinea. In 1884, the German flag was raised over several coastal towns, and the Neu Guinea Kompagnie was chartered to administer the area in 1885. This included the ability to administer postal services.
On 1 April 1899, the German government assumed responsibility for administering the colony, citing the inability of private sources to finance the necessary development within the colony.
A post office was opened at Kaewieng on 1 January 1904. It would remain open until the arrival of Australian troops on 17 October 1914.