In the mid-1870’s, German companies established the first trading ties within the area that would become German New Guinea. In 1884, the German flag was raised over several coastal towns, and the Neu Guinea Kompagnie was chartered to administer the area in 1885. This included the ability to administer postal services.
The Neu Guinea Kompagnie first opened a post office at Herbertshöhe in June 1890.
On 1 April 1899, the German government assumed responsibility for administering the colony, citing the inability of private sources to finance the necessary development within the colony.
The Herbertshöhe post office would remain open until Australian forces occupied Herbertshöhe on 10 September 1914.