In the mid-1870’s, German companies established the first trading ties within the area that would become German New Guinea. In 1884, the German flag was raised over several coastal towns, and the Neu Guinea Kompagnie was chartered to administer the area in 1885. This included the ability to administer postal services.
On 14 December 1889, the Neu Guinea Kompagnie opened a post office in Stephansort. The post office would close temporarily from 30 July 1892 to 14 February 1893 due to there being no company personnel available to man it.
On 1 April 1899, the German government assumed responsibility for administering the colony, citing the inability of private sources to finance the necessary development within the colony.
The Stephansort post office would close on 30 June 1914, when the town was occupied by Australian forces.