In the mid-1870’s, German companies established the first trading ties within the area that would become German New Guinea. In 1884, the German flag was raised over several coastal towns, and the Neu Guinea Kompagnie was chartered to administer the area in 1885.
A post office was opened at Friedrich-Wilhelmshafen on 1 March 1892.
On 1 April 1899, the German government assumed responsibility for administering the colony, citing the inability of private sources to finance the necessary development within the colony.
The Friedrich-Wilhelmshafen post office would remain open until the arrival of Australian troops in mid-September 1914.