In the mid-1870’s, German companies established the first trading ties within the area that would become German New Guinea. In 1884, the German flag was raised over several coastal towns, and the Neu Guinea Kompagnie was chartered to administer the area in 1885. This included the ability to administer postal services.
The Neu Guinea Kompagnie first opened a post office at Finschhafen on 15 February 1888. In March 1891, the entire German population of Finschhafen was struck down by malaria, forcing the closure of the post office.
On 1 April 1899, the German government assumed responsibility for administering the colony, citing the inability of private sources to finance the necessary development within the colony.
A formal post office was re-established in 1904, and it would remain open until Australian forces occupied German New Guinea in December 1914.