The Generalgouvernement issued these stamps on 1 December 1940 for use in rural areas. At that time, the Deutsche Post Osten did not deliver to the more rural areas of the Generalgouvernement. To alleviate this problem, the Deutsche Post Osten authorized rural communities to setup substitute post offices where they could send and received packages. The head of the substitute post office was authorized to collect a fee for the service, with the fee being denoted by the rural delivery stamps (Zustellungsmarken)
The stamps were available in sheets of 50.