In the 1870’s, German companies established the first trading ties with the Marshall Islands. On 15 October 1885, Germany formally declared Marshall-Inseln to be a German protectorate.
The first German post office in Marshall-Inseln was established at Jaluit on 29 March 1889. On 14 July 1908, a second post office was opened on Nauru, which had become a major center of phosphate production. These would be the only two post offices in the colony.
Due to disruptions in shipping traffic upon the outbreak of WWI, the last known departure of mail from Nauru was in early September 1914 via a Norwegian steamship bound for Honolulu. The Nauru post office would, however, remain open until Nauru was captured by Australian forces on 8 November 1914.