In the 1870’s, German companies established the first trading ties with the Marshall Islands. On 15 October 1885, Germany formally declared Marshall-Inseln to be a German protectorate.
The first German post office in Marshall-Inseln was established at Jaluit on 29 March 1889. This would remain the only post office in the colony until a second was established on Nauru in 1908.
The Jaluit post office would remain open until Jaluit was captured by the Japanese on 29 September 1914.