From Jun 1897 to 30 Apr 1899, this postal stationery card was available for use by crews of ships of the German Navy. It is distinguished by the arched phrase “Nur für Marine-Schiffsposten” (“Only for Naval Ship Post”) over the stamp. The Mar 1897 (397 f) and Jul 1897 (797 f) printings can be found used. The Jul 1898 (798 f) printing was available in Berlin only, and was not postally used.
As Marine Schiffspost, it was intended for use only on ships of the German Navy, and is almost exclusively found with ship cancels.