German New Guinea

German Colonies

In the 1850s, German traders first established a foothold on the northern and eastern coasts of New Guinea, as well as on the surrounding smaller islands. In May 1885, the German government entered into an agreement with the German New Guinea Company (“Neu Guinea Kompagnie”), under the terms of which the Company was authorized to acquire further lands as it saw fit. In return, the Company was to expand German influence within the area, and to build and maintain the local governmental institutions.

On 1 April 1899, the German government formally took control of the area formally administered by the German New Guinea Company, as it had become cost prohibitive for the privately funded Company to develop and maintain the colony. An Imperial Governor was appointed to govern the colony, and in a reorganization of the German holdings in the South and Central Pacific, administration of the German colonies in the Carolines (1899), Marianas (1899), and Marshalls (1906) was eventually transferred to the Imperial Governor of German New Guinea.

Post Offices in German New Guinea included:

Berlinhafen (renamed Eitape) (22 May 1898 – 1 October 1912)
Buka (26 July 1913 – January 1915)
Deulon (1 January 1914 – 20 September 1914)
Eitape (1 October 1912 – 4 December 1914)
Finschhafen (15 February 1888 – March 1891, 15 July 1914 – December 1914)
Friedrich-Wilhelmshafen (1 March 1892 – September 1914)
Hatzfeldthafen (1 April 1888 – 30 September 1891)
Herbertshöhe (June 1890 – 10 September 1914)
Kaewieng (1 January 1904 – 17 October 1914)
Kerawara (6 April 1888 – June 1890)
Kieta (25 April 1907 – December 1914)
Konstantinhafen (15 May 1888 – 30 September 1891)
Manus (6 December 1912 – December 1914)
Maron (1 October 1910 – November 1914)
Matupi (1 November 1894 – 31 January 1906)
Morobe (20 January 1913 – 11 January 1915)
Namatanai (11 September 1911 – November 1914)
Rabaul (1 April 1910 – 11 September 1914)
Simpsonhafen (renamed Rabaul) (1 February 1906 – 31 March 1910)
Stephansort (14 December 1889 – 30 June 1914)

German New Guinea was quickly conquered by Australian forces at the outbreak of WWI, and as with all of Germany’s colonial possessions at the time, it was not returned to German control following the war. Instead, it became a League of Nations Protectorate under Australian control.

xalbum_imp_kol_dng_cover

Physical Album Pages
(Hi Res)

xalbum_imp_kol_dng_cover

Physical Album Pages
(Med Res)

Map of post offices — Google Earth
dng_post_offices